Welcome to Native Here Nursery
Upcoming Saturday Events (talks start at 11 am)
September 28 Manzanita Day (John Danielsen)
October 19 Getting Started with Native Plants (Arleen Feng)
November 23 Ferns and their Shady Friends (John Danielsen)
February 29 Ground Covers (Kimberly Moses)
March (TBD) Pollinators
April (TBD) Annuals and Bulbs
Keeping plant diseases at bay
We are very pleased that Crystal Leanza has joined us at Native Here to help us prevent plant diseases. She will focus on phytophthoras which are now a problem for every nursery in the state, not just native plant nurseries like ours.
Every year there is tree work to be done to keep the nursery from getting too shady. This year we’re concentrating on the back section. Already it is a lot sunnier than it has been for years, which is good because we grow our Mt. Diablo plants there.
New and unique volunteer opportunities
We have some new and different requests for assistance this summer, including a couple that don’t require any plant knowledge, just a desire to help:
- Creating an accurate inventory of non-plant items at Native Here (one-time job; 30-40 hours)
- Sterilizing our potting soil before it’s used (ongoing)
- Inventorying our growing areas for the first time (plant knowledge is useful here.)
- Repotting our specimen plants (one-time job, 40 hours)
- Growing ground covers or other special plant types (e,g, ferns, or you name it)
- Watering our plants through the dry season
- Grooming our plants to keep them healthy and beautiful
More complete descriptions and contact information are available on the volunteer page
As you may know, our nursery operates and thrives thanks to all our amazing volunteers. We are always welcoming
and encouraging new people to come by and join the team! Here are a few things volunteers have been working on and also things we’d love more help with:
- Dry brushing pots. We’ve been able to solarize so many pots in order to sanitize them and we are thankful to those who have spent countless hours brushing the dirty pots.
- Potting up plants
- Watering! We always need people to water the plants, especially during the summer. Please let us know if you’d like to water weekly or even be a substitute for our regulars.
- Weeding and tending to the areas around the nursery.
Volunteering is a great opportunity to connect with others that love the outdoors and all the native plants within our communities. Charli and John are a dynamic duo that facilitate an amazing environment to learn and grow. Please let us know if you have any questions about getting involved and feel free to stop by anytime during our open hours!