Native Here is Hiring a Part-Time Permanent Plant and Sales Specialist
We are currently seeking a permanent candidate to work 8-10 hours a week in support of the half-time Nursery Manager. Availability can be somewhat flexible, but the ideal candidate would be available during two of the nursery’s weekend open hours (Fri 9-12, Sat 10-2, and Sun 10-2). Pay range is $11 – $14 / hr depending on experience. Application reviews will begin when they are received. Ideal start date would be the first week of May, but finding the best candidate is the priority. Principal Duties:
- Be available to hold the nursery open during business hours (except during storms or on major holidays). The specific schedule is up for discussion, but weekend hours (listed above) are the primary focus.
- Assist customers in finding appropriate plants for their site.
- Write-up sales and receive cash, check, and credit payments.
- Move plants from growing/hardening off areas to the “sales floor.”
- Communicate with Nursery Manager about changes in inventory or any needs.
- Assist in creating outreach materials.
- Collaborate with Nursery Manager to write column about Native Here Nursery activities for the monthly Chapter newsletter (Bay Leaf).
- Coordinate activities with Nursery Manager, who will continue to oversee site improvements, production and seed collection.
- Supervise volunteers in such tasks as moving plants to appropriate sized containers, weeding and grooming nursery stock, weeding within nursery, clean up, pruning, inventory, etc.
- Coordinate propagation of nursery stock in conjuction with volunteers, including cuttings, ferns, divisions, seedling potting up, and bumping of more mature stock.
- Cull sick or dead plants, and troubleshoot pest and pathogen issues.
- Make sure plants have the proper identification and price labels, as well as information/photo cards.
- Other duties as agreed upon with Nursery Manager.
- Ability to lift heavy containers (up to 60lbs) and hold them out to place into plant cages.
- Desire to restore local botanical heritage and habitat to the East Bay.
- Personable and customer-focused demeanor.
- Working knowledge of native plant gardening techniques and issues.
- Knowledge of native plants of the East Bay.
- Ability to both receive direction from Nursery Manager, and also work independently.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule in tandem with Nursery Manager.
- Action oriented with a strong work ethic.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications must have “Plant and Sales Specialist” in the subject line in order to be considered. Please include your general availability for the position, emphasizing which of our open hours (Tue 12-3, Fri 9-12, Sat 10-2, Sun 10-2) you would be abailable for. About the nursery Native Here Nursery is a project of the East Bay Chapter of the California Native Plant Society (EBCNPS). We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which is dedicated to growing local native plants from the two East Bay counties: Contra Costa and Alameda. The nursery is open for sale to the public year-round. It was founded over 20 years ago and was the first to organize its plant stock by specific geographic sub-regions among our the counties. The nursery has been growing under the careful grooming of its mainly volunteer staff of dedicated EBCNPS members, and prospering from a wonderful and diverse customer base that is committed to restoring native habitat, creating wildlife-friendly gardens, saving water, and preserving local plant genetic heritage.